Enjoyed by millions of people all around the world, this is a simple recipe that we use when on the odd occasion, we decide to make a huge mess in the kitchen and eat with our fingers. As a word of caution please be extra careful when using hot oil, and ensure that you have plenty of space around you when frying to avoid any nasty spills.
Chicken Marinade (Serves 4)
4-6 Skinless Chicken Breasts (Halved Across the Breast and Lightly Scored)
Medium Onion (Finely Chopped)
5 Garlic Cloves (Peeled and Grated)
25g Pack of Fresh Coriander (Finely Chopped)
0.5 Tsp Dried Chilli Flakes
10 Tbsps Plain Flour
Tsp Celery Salt
2 Tsps Ground Cayenne
Tsp Ground Black Pepper
3 Tsps Paprika
Tsp Dried Thyme
3 Tbsps Chicken Seasoning
2 Tbsps All Purpose Seasoning
How to Cook
1. Combine the halved chicken breasts with the marinade ingredients, mix well and refrigerate for at least 24hrs.
2. Combine the chicken coating mix in a bowl and set aside.
3. Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade and roll in the coating mix until well covered, before refrigerating them again for another 45 minutes to help the coating stick and set.
4. Heat 1-2 litres of vegetable or sunflower oil in a very large pan for about 10 minutes, or until a dropped in breadcrumb turns golden brown in seconds.
5. Pre-heat an oven to 175°C
6. Remove the coated chicken pieces from the fridge and then gently add introduce them to the oil one by one, allowing them to fry until a lovely golden brown before carefully removing each one with a slotted spoon and placing them on a baking tray.
7. Place the tray into the oven and cook the chicken on the middle shelf for at least 20 minutes before serving.
There’s little need to mention how best to serve what is already a staple fast-food meal for many, however you really can’t go wrong with a nice potato salad, corn cobs and some good quality coleslaw if you like it, and be sure to remember napkins for those greasy fingers too!