May 25 2018
I have to admit to feeling somewhat sad that this part of the book is now over, largely because I’ve thoroughly enjoyed learning about U.S. history through the historic cases studied, and also because my understanding and deep appreciation of the Federal Constitution has grown from being almost non-existent, to virtually integral to my fundamental outlook on life, while also helping me realise just how unprotected U.K. citizens are, despite the Human Rights Act 1998, and more especially because after the whole ‘Brexit’ travesty there is soon to be no more protection offered through the European Court of Human Rights.
In all honesty I feel I now identify more with America than ever before, and given that I’ve never visited the country, there are certainly more compelling reasons than ever to get that arranged, perhaps if I sell enough copies of this compendium, that moment might just arrive, who knows?
As a side note I also recently learned that my mother’s biological father was born and raised in San Francisco, so I guess that makes me part American, right?
Anyway, I digress, and so here is the list of cases that can be found in the constitutional law section of the compendium. I hope I haven’t missed any out, and I will close this chapter by saying that it’s been great fun going on this part of the journey, and I will certainly miss it.
2. Board of Trustees of University of Alabama v. Garrett
3. Bolling v. Sharpe
4. Boumediene v. Bush
6. Branzburg v. Hayes
7. Brown v. Board of Ed. of Topeka, Shawnee County, Kan.
8. Buckley v. Valeo
9. Bush v. Gore
10. Calder v. Bull
11. Chevron USA Inc. v. Natural Resources Defence Council Inc.
12. Chisholm v. Georgia
13. City of Boerne v. Flores
14. Cooper v. Aaron
15. Corfield v. Coryell
16. District of Columbia v. Heller
17. Dred Scott v. Sandford
18. Employment Div. Dept. of Human Resources of Oregon v. Smith
19. Engel v. Vitale
20. Fletcher v. Peck
21. Garcia v. San Antonio Metropolitan Transit Authority
22. Gibbons v. Ogden
23. Gregory v. Ashcroft
24. Griswold v. Connecticut
25. Hamdi v. Rumsfeld
26. Katzenbach v. Morgan
27. Kennedy v. Louisiana
28. Kimel v. Florida Board of Regents
29. Lochner v. New York
30. Marbury v. Madison
31. M’Culloch v. State
32. National League of Cities v. Usery
33. Nevada Dept. of Human Resources v. Hibbs
34. New York City Transit Authority v. Beazer
35. New York v. U.S.
36. Parents Involved in Community Schools v. Seattle School District No.1
37. Plessy v. Ferguson
38. Poe v. Ullman
39. Printz v. U.S.
40. R.A.V. v. City of St.Paul, Minn.
41. Romer v. Evans
42. Slaughter-House Cases
44. U.S. v. Guest
45. U.S. v. Morrison
46. West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette
47. Whitney v. California